3.05.2016

The Walk-Jog


It's been a while since I posted. I'm not very good at posting every week... obviously. I'm too busy with work, baby, husband, home, and watching The Bachelor. I have been getting out and walk-jogging everyday (except Sunday), though! At least I remember to do that...

What's the walk-jog, you ask? Well, it's my modified training routine, because turns out I really hate jogging. I don't even use the word run, because that would imply that I can move faster than a swift walking pace. I have finally accepted the fact that I am not a runner. Nope. Not a runner. And that is just fine. After talking to my aunt who has run a marathon, she told me she did the walk-jog combo for the whole thing. When I ran a half marathon in college, I set the goal to jog the whole time. I accomplished the goal, so for some reason I thought I had to do the same for my SMA half marathon in September. The reality is, I am not the same person I was in college. I've gained weight. Had a baby. Hate running.

So, Porter and I still get out everyday, but I do 5 minutes of jogging and then 1-2 minutes of walking and repeat for 30 minutes - hour. Some days I just speed walk - especially when I have a walking buddy with me and heavy breathing interferes with conversation and gossip. I have noticed, though, when I am not forcing myself to do it, I enjoy the jogging much more. I have gotten to where my body is ready to go faster and jog a little longer. When I set my goals based off time, once I got to 10 - 15 minutes of straight jogging, I would get really nervous before. What if I can't do it? What if I stop? If I did stop, I'd always feel totally bummed out. This way, I can still get my body ready for this half marathon, but without dreading every workout.

Ashleigh - did you hear that? A walk-jog. I'll just meet you at the finish line... Let's just hope I don't get picked up by the Sag Wagon.

Enjoy these pictures of Porter's post walk-jog cool down. He's adorable and naughty all at the same time.

I am so close to my goal of $750! Thank you to all of you who have donated! If you would like to donate to my run, you can do so here. Anything is appreciated! If you're just joining me on this adventure, my sister-in-law (and aunt now! and maybe uncle...?) and I are running the Chicago Half Marathon to raise money for CureSMA. CureSMA does wonderful things for families with children that have spinal muscular atrophy. They also give money for SMA research to hopefully find a cure. You're money will go to a great cause!




No comments:

Post a Comment