6.19.2014

classroom makeover.

 
I currently work in a Title I school in Carrollton,Texas as a 5th grade reading and writing teacher. Our funds are limited. I have students who live in homeless shelters that are bussed in from Dallas. Most of my students live in government-subsidized apartments that they share with another family. 98% of my campus is on free and reduced lunch.
 
I want to create the best possible classroom environment for my students. My school is 60 years old. There is water damage on the walls, my bookshelves are literally being held together by packaging tape, and my principal (unfortunately) does not have the resources to buy books for our classroom libraries or update our bookshelves. According to an article by Dr. Sheryl Reinisch, Director of Early Childhood Education Programs at Concordia University, studies indicate that high-quality classroom environments “help children feel safe, secure, and valued. As a result, self-esteem increases and students are motivated to engage in the learning process.” My students don’t have safe and comfortable homes to go to. My classroom is their home, their safe place. I want to make my classroom as comfortable, welcoming, and resource-filled as I can get it. If you can't tell from the picture above, my room needs some work! You can't see the holes in the desks. Over the years, students have literally drilled holes (with pencil) in the desks. You can see through the holes to the inside of the desk.
 
This summer I am doing a total revamp on my classroom and making it over completely. I am going to post updates on my blog so you can watch my progress! Get ready for some DIY!

1 comment: