9.25.2013

tumbleweave lane.


I know I haven't posted in a long time. Life has been crazy with school starting and biggest of all - we moved. We've been wanting more space and a yard for Ellie, and the apartment wasn't quite cutting it.

To make a long story short, our budget wouldn't allow for a gated community with lawn service. Really, our budget wouldn't allow for a neighborhood that's ever heard of the HOA. We live in a renter's neighborhood. It's a colorful neighborhood with a variety of sights to see… a wide variety.

I've had a hard time with this move, because I'm a snob that likes crown molding and nicely trimmed lawns. I was hesitant to sign the lease, but felt a big spiritual confirmation that this was the right place for us. That didn't keep me from crying on Monday when I was left home alone. I took Ellie on a walk and, to my dismay, the walk resulted in tears. I told Parker about my disappointment and he replied, "The neighborhood's not that bad."On Tuesday, Parker took Ellie on a walk and toured the neighborhood. He got the picture. It's ghetto. The best part of his walk were the chunks of weave that were blowing in the wind along the street. This was my inspiration for the name "Tumbleweave Lane". Tumblweave Lane is going to be our home for the next three years. I've decided to make the most of it and document some of the fun finds that I come across. Todays topic:

The Top 10 Must Haves To Live On Tumbleweave Lane

1. Anything that a normal neighborhood would do in their backyard, do it in your front yard.
2. Rather than purchase curtains, put tin foil in your windows to block out the sun. Only half way, though. Secure with duct tape.
3. Never mow your lawn.
4. Attempt to park as many cars in your driveway as possible.
5. Own an iPhone. Never go to work.
6. Keep your dog on the front porch without a leash. Put "Beware of Dog" sign in your front lawn.
7. What child needs a curfew? Make sure your kids are walking around half naked after 9 pm.
8. If you have extra trash in your car, find the closest field, curb, yard, or empty space and place it there for safe keeping.
9. Hang wind chimes outside your patio; maybe hang three - or five. 
10. Chain smoking on your porch is a must.

Unfortunately, the fact we don't smoke won't allow us to hit number 10. Luckily, Ikea has seeped its way into our home and I've done some simple, affordable, incredibly effective changes. Pictures to come.

From Tumbleweave Lane - signing off.



1 comment:

  1. I want to say that #2 is an indicator police use when looking for meth labs, but I did it on the windows in the boys' room when they were little to make the room dark enough for mid-day naps when the sun was blaring straight into their room.
    If I promise to stop mowing my lawn will you move into my neighbourhood? So far no tumbleweaves though, maybe it just wouldn't feel like home to you.

    ReplyDelete