5.21.2013

reflections of a new teacher.


Excluding my mother, these are two of my very favorite women in the world! They guided me through my first year of teaching and I could never thank them enough for everything they've taught me!

Today I took a half day and drove out to Nolanville, Texas to celebrate these women and their retirement! I thought it would be relaxing to drive for 2.5 hours alone, but I got really bored after the first hour. It was nothing a little Celine Dion Christmas CD couldn't fix. 

The road leading up to my old elementary school looks like it belongs in a country song. It is a winding road and there is a big field of goats next to it. I remember when I drove there for my interview, I thought, "Where the heck am I?". I felt like I had never left the school! Nolanville Elementary will always feel like home to me. I don't know if it's because I spent my first year of teaching there (so I practically lived there), or because I met my second family there.

I laughed so much with these women last year. They are like my soul friend mates sisters BFF's. They could both be my mother, but we have a connection that blows my mind! Heavenly Father definitely knew what He was doing when I got that job. These women are loud, opinionated, crude (at times), caring, thoughtful, and hilarious. I'm so glad I got to spend the afternoon and evening with them.

A lot of their former students were there to share their favorite memories of them. I wondered what my students would say about me. Here's a little sneak peak into a speech that will be given when I retire: I remember Mrs. Donner very well. I remember every time I asked her to go to the bathroom, she told me to hold it until I was ready to wet my pants, then I could go. I remember her telling me to not open my mouth for the rest of the day or the time she took my paper airplane up and threw it in the trash. She had a gentle way of reminding me she was the boss and that I was only a 5th grader. 

Maybe I need to work on my nurturing side...

2 comments:

  1. I remember when we were in fifth grade and you were telling me you wanted to teach fifth grade, and bring your students cokes and candy everyday! Hahaha (all while we were playing with cabbage patch dolls).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha oh my gosh! I don't remember that, but I totally could see my 5th grade self saying something like that. I loved those cabbage patch dolls. Hilarious memory, Madison!

    ReplyDelete